Convention without Julian

Discuss the lovely Dr Mac to your heart's content

Moderators: tutt-sweet, Rosie, chatterbox

Jools
Rod Reverer

Convention without Julian

Postby Jools » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 am

I can't consciously string a sentence together at the moment (no change there) but as the JRT contingent of the convention, what did everyone think? :D

Rosie

Postby Rosie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:53 am

I really enjoyed the whole day, so well organised with wonderful attention to detail, chocolate cocks and all!! :wink:

If Julian had put in an appearance, it would have been the icing on the cake, but I didn't really think he would. Lovely to meet Steve again though, and all the writers and crew who attended were so friendly.

And of course it was great to meet some of the people from here - some for the first time - and get to know them better (hello minimarsbar - mind those green wings in the toilet doorway, now!). And nice to meet you too Jools, you worked very hard along with Kim and the committee to make it a fun day. So, a great big
:thanks: from me. :D

tutt-sweet

Postby tutt-sweet » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:28 pm

I had a smashing time this weekend at the Convention [despite the lack of a certain JRT :cry: ] It was superbly organised by the wonderful Committee so huge thanks to all the effort & hard work put in by them . :thanks:

They really didn't miss a trick & it all ran very smoothly & professionally. The games were great & Steve turning up & playing Spoon of Destiny & Guyball with everyone was superb & very surreal! What a lovely chap he really is....sorry JRT, but he does get points for turning up! :wink:

It was also nice to chat briefly to writers James, Oriane, Rob, Richard & also Billy- who was great value for money! The Q & A session with the writers & Billy was very illuminating & extremely interesting too.

It was lovely to meet up with so many people & put names to faces at last. Hi to JRTpatch, searing idolatry, baggiebird, minimarsbar, spitting bunny, cello, Jools & many many more.

I think we must have another get together at some time in the future...if only to watch the DVDs together! [hope to see some of you on Wed at the BFI]

Thanks again to everyone who helped to organise the Convention- it was a magnificent effort.

:lv:
" A few very charming ladies down at my Dad's whist drive have been very kind (average age 75-93). My brother is the headmaster of a special school and I know some of his dinner ladies have been very kind to me as well. "

Jools
Rod Reverer

Postby Jools » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:57 pm

Can I just add that I'm so sorry I didn't get to chat to everyone more. As some of you may have gathered I got sidelined (to my utter enjoyment) into helping out the committee, so was very busy doing my 'bit' all day. So if I stared at you blankly, went ooh i've gotta go and things like that I'm really sorry but the whole thing was a bit of a blur and as for Friday night? Well I think its best we leave it there!

Lovely to meet all of you (albeit very briefly) and hope we get another opportunity to meet up when we can chat a bit more.

ducatilady

Postby ducatilady » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Hi everyone!
I don't think any of us really held out much hope that Julian would be there, although if he had turned up it would have changed a fabulous day into an utterly fantabulous day.
I think its great that you were co-opted onto the commitee Jools as you do so much to entertain us all anyway, and as you say...Friday night?? what friday night??
Lovely to meet you at last, although I already felt I knew you.

chatterbox
Administrator

Postby chatterbox » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:48 pm

I also had a fantastic time, although like Jools I spent most of my day rushing around doing stuff to help the committee, so I didn't get nearly enough time to speak to people. But... it was still lovely to put faces to so many names from here as well as the gw sites. At least I can recognise you next time we meet (and there must be a next time somehow!)

Shame Julian or Tamsin didn't make it, but we always knew it was a long shot, and Steve was his lovely charming self as always, and I got a ringside seat at the spoon of destiny which was fantastic. Another highlight was ducatilady and rosie battling out the chocolate towers, as was the auction, where Jools was a wonderful assistant/slave to Rob.

Thanks to everyone for making it such a great event!! :D

smoo2
Monty Maniac

Postby smoo2 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Glad you all had a great time, shame I couldn't be there. :(

Ducatilady, cello said on the con site that you have been to a couple of Robin of Sherwood cons. I love that series and have all the dvd's! Have you met some of the cast then? (Sorry, off topic a bit!)

ducatilady

Postby ducatilady » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:42 pm

Yes I have met a few of the cast, I'll pm you about that!

ducatilady

Postby ducatilady » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:04 pm

Chatterbox...must ask you about your fabulous Sue White Jacket! Did you make the whole thing from Scratch? It was brilliant!

chatterbox
Administrator

Postby chatterbox » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:12 pm

Thanks Rita, I'm glad you thought it looked ok. I didn't make the jacket, just added the arms, but I had loads of fun with it I have to say.

See you Wednesday - what a social whirl GW has got us into!!

Jennifer
Nigel Nut

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:17 am

Going to the BFI? You lucky gits, you. I would fly down for it, but y'know...money's tight and all.

Lovely to meet you all, though! I was a trip I'm so glad I made! Lke you said, Ducatilady; I did feel like I knew most of you already!

x

Baggiebird
Sean Supporter

Postby Baggiebird » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Well I have to say I had a fantastic time at the convention so am feeling a little lost this weekend. It was a shame Julian didn't turn up but like everyone else I didn't think he would be there. I can't tell you how hard it was not to let the cat out of the bag reference Steve being there :D I would like to mirror Jools comments, as I also apologise for not really being ablt to talk to everyone, as like jools I was very privilaged to be asked to help out on the day. Anywho I did get to speak to a few of you on Wednesday....so hello to Tutt-Sweet, Spitting Bunny, Ducati lady and cello to name but a few :D

cello
Alex Aficionado

Postby cello » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:09 pm

Hello, lovely people.

Sorry for the repetition - I have posted this somewhere else - but I have found out that Julian has been filming 6 days out of 7, including Saturdays, so couldn't have come to the Convention even if he had wanted to.

I think the fact that he always tries to make it to the signings, despite heavy commitments elsewhere, and very early starts, means that he is very generous to his fanbase and I think there would have been every chance of him coming along to the Convention with Stephen if he had been able, particularly as it was for charity.

Stephen is still adorable of course, but I just don't think we should try and make them compete against each other.

tutt-sweet

Postby tutt-sweet » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:55 pm

cello wrote:Hello, lovely people.

Sorry for the repetition - I have posted this somewhere else - but I have found out that Julian has been filming 6 days out of 7, including Saturdays, so couldn't have come to the Convention even if he had wanted to.

I think the fact that he always tries to make it to the signings, despite heavy commitments elsewhere, and very early starts, means that he is very generous to his fanbase and I think there would have been every chance of him coming along to the Convention with Stephen if he had been able, particularly as it was for charity.

Stephen is still adorable of course, but I just don't think we should try and make them compete against each other.

I think we all know that JRT would have done his very best to make an appearance at the Convention if at all possible. Obviously his filming schedule did not permit it on this occasion......something that none of us was privileged to know about. This probably also goes some way to explaining his brief appearance at the DVD signing last week.

There was no suggestion at all that he & Steve were in competition with one another. Funny how difficult it is to get across a tongue-in-cheek comment in print ! :)

It was wonderful to see Steve last weekend & I was truly grateful to him for turning up, being such a sport & being 'the icing on the cake'....if JRT had turned too, up my cup would have truly overflowed!!! :lol: :swoon:
" A few very charming ladies down at my Dad's whist drive have been very kind (average age 75-93). My brother is the headmaster of a special school and I know some of his dinner ladies have been very kind to me as well. "

chatterbox
Administrator

Postby chatterbox » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:08 am

Of course we would all have loved it if he could have visited the convention, but I think that we understood that Julian is busy, and was obviously working at something (latest hairstyle was a bit of a clue!) and I am delighted that we are due to get some new work to admire.

Competition? Only in the most lighthearted sense I think, and I hope that Julian understands that we still love him (and Steve of course!).

Baggiebird
Sean Supporter

Postby Baggiebird » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:47 pm

I completely understand that Julian is busy and am looking forward to seeing the fruits of his labour. It's a shame he could make it as I think he would have enjoyed himself as everyone was on their best behaviour that day.

I haven't got Steve and Julian in competition I think they are both great :D

faeriequeen

Postby faeriequeen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:50 pm

Yeah I don't hold it against him at all for not being at the convention...he'll always be my no.1. :wink:

Return to “Discuss Mac/Green Wing here”